Laisamis Constituency occupies the extreme southern/South Western part of Marsabit County in northern Kenya and has a total area of 20,290.50 sq. km. It borders North-Horr Constituency to the North, Saku to the North East, Samburu North to West and South. Laisamis Constituency lies between longitudes 360 400 east and latitude 00 150 south which is within the latitude 02o 450 North and 04o 27o North and longitude 37o 57o East and 39o 21o East which define the Marsabit County geographical coordinates.
Laisamis Constituency constitutes an extensive plains lying between 300 and 900m above sea level, sloping gently towards the south east and south west. The plain is bordered to the west and north by hills and mountain ranges and is broken by volcanic cones and calderas. The most notable topographical features of the Constituency are Ol Donyo Ranges (2,066m above sea level) in the south west, Mt. Marsabit (1,865m above sea level) to the North East and Mt. Kulal (2,235m above sea level) in the north west. The main physical feature are the Chalbi and Kaisut Deserts which forms a large depression lying between 435 and 500m elevation.
The depression is within the Great Rift Valley and is separated from Lake Turkana, which is 65 -100m lower in elevation, by a ridge that rises to 700m. There are no permanent rivers in the county, but four drainage systems exist, covering an area of 948 sq km. Chalbi Desert is the largest of these systems. The depression receives run-off from the surrounding lava and basement surfaces of Mt. Marsabit, Hurri Hills and Mt. Kulal. The seasonal rivers of Milgis and Merille to the extreme south flow eastward and drain into the Sori Adio Swamp. Other drainage systems include Lake Turkana into which drain seasonal rivers from Kulal and Nyiru mountains.
Laisamis Constituency lies in four main ecological zones namely, Ecological Zone II, Ecological Zone IV, Ecological Zone V and Ecological Zone VI. Ecological Zone II is characterized by high rainfall amounts of up to 1,000mm per annum, low evapotranspiration and high suitability for agricultural activities. The soils are suitable for agricultural production. The zone includes parts of Mt. Marsabit above 1,500m (specifically Kamboe) and Mt. Kulal above 1,700m which supports dense evergreen forests. This is an important water catchment area, covering less than one per cent of the Laisamis Constituency. Ecological Zone IV is semi-arid with medium potential for crop and agro-pastoral farming.
It has become an area of sedentarized agro-pastoral activities and constitutes the middle slopes of Mt. Kulal and Kamboe area. Ecological Zones V and VI includes the lower slopes of volcanic and basement piles lying between 700 and 1,000m and extremely dry areas may be properly termed “bushed stone land” including all the hills and plains below 700m with typical dwarf-shrub grassland or a very dry form of bushed grassland. The zone consists of the plains of Milgis and parts of the slope of Mt. Marsabit around Loglogo and the entire areas covered by Kargi/South-Horr, Laisamis, Loglogo and Korr-Ngurunit geographical boundaries.
County Assembly Wards in Laisamis Constituency:
- County Assembly Ward No.: 0236
- County Assembly Ward Name: Loiyangalani
- County Assembly Ward Population (Approx.): 16,358
- County Assembly Ward Area In Sq. Km (Approx.): 4,202.50
- County Assembly Ward Description: comprises part of Mt Kulal, Olturot, Larach, Arapalal, Moite, Gas, Elmolo Bay and Loiyangalani Sub–Locations of Marsabit County.
Kargi/ South Horr Ward
- County Assembly Ward No.: 0237
- County Assembly Ward Name: Kargi/ South Horr
- County Assembly Ward Population (Approx.): 9,753
- County Assembly Ward Area In Sq. Km (Approx.): 7,528
- County Assembly Ward Description: comprises part of Kurungu, Arge, South Horr, Kurkum, Kargi and Kambiye Sub–Locations of Marsabit County.
- County Assembly Ward No.: 0238
- County Assembly Ward Name: Korr/Ngurunit
- County Assembly Ward Population (Approx.): 21,305
- County Assembly Ward Area In Sq. Km (Approx.): 2,780. 90
- County Assembly Ward Description: comprises part of Hafare, Illaut, Korr, Halisirwa, Ngurunit and Lonyori Pichau Sub–Location of Marsabit County.
- County Assembly Ward No.: 0239
- County Assembly Ward Name: Logologo
- County Assembly Ward Population (Approx.): 5,144
- County Assembly Ward Area In Sq. Km (Approx.): 1,893.90
- County Assembly Ward Description: comprises part of Logologo, Gudas and Kamboe Sub–Locations of Marsabit County.
- County Assembly Ward No.: 0240
- County Assembly Ward Name: Laisamis
- County Assembly Ward Population (Approx.): 13,109
- County Assembly Ward Area In Sq. Km (Approx.): 3,885.20
- County Assembly Ward Description: comprises part of Laisamis, Koya, Irir, Lontolio, Ndikir and Merille Sub–Locations of Marsabit County.